Berries are like little, great tasting tablets. Although small, they are nutrition powerhouses!
- They have extremely high levels of phytochemicals — naturally occurring nutrients that help protect cells from damage.
- Berries are loaded with antioxidants which neutralise free radicals and can help with prevention of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- They are high in fibre – so this smoothie will leave you feeling full!
- They contain anthocyanidins – these are almost exclusively found in berries and can actually cross the blood-brain barrier and locate in learning and memory centres in the brain – this helps prevent mental decline as you get older. Many studies have shown the significant benefit to the brain when a person consumes a portion of berries every day. Other studies have also shown lowered risk of developing Alzheimers Disease and Dementia.
- “People who eat at least two servings of berries a week have a 25 percent less chance of developing Parkinson’s disease than their peers” – according to research published in the “Neurology” journal.
If you aren’t yet running to the fridge to grab a handful, then get going!
Berry Much Smoothie
Takes 5 min to prepare
4 ice cubes (less if using frozen berries)
Handful Acai berries
1/5 peeled raw beetroot
4-5 mint leaves
½ cup coconut milk
Place all in the blender and blend for 1 min until smooth.