A delicious, flavoursome and filling base for tacos, burritos and nachos, or simply serve with rice or a side salad. This chilli non-carne can be made in a matter of minutes or in advance for an easy mid-week meal!
• SERVES: 6
• PREP TIME: 5 mins
• COOKING TIME: 20 mins
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 x 300 g pack plant-based mince, defrosted (e.g. Fry’s Pea Protein Mince)
- 12–14 portobello mushrooms, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground smoky paprika
- 1⁄4 tsp chilli powder
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle spice
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 x 400 g can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 x 400 g can whole kernel corn, drained
- Himalayan salt to taste
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic and chilli in the oil until the onion is translucent (3–5 minutes).
Add the mince and fry over a high heat until it starts to brown.
Add the mushrooms, walnuts, chives, tomato paste, spices and oregano and fry for a further 5 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and add the drained beans and corn. Leave to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
Serve with fresh guacamole, vegan sour cream and tacos!