Comfort food at its finest! This dish is perfect for so many occasions – cosy nights in, ‘get well’ or ‘congrats on your new home’ gifts, or having friends or family over for dinner. I usually make it over a weekend, cover will foil and bake when needed. It will keep for up to 4 days in the fridge before cooking.
• SERVES: 6
• PREP TIME: 45 mins
• COOKING TIME: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 10–15 large lasagne sheets (store bought)
- 3⁄4 cup basil pesto (see recipe on page 183)
- vegan parmesan (see recipe on page 155)
- sprigs fresh basil and parsley
- 1 medium butternut (450–550 g)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Lentil and tomato sauce:
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g can brown lentils
- 1 cup water, room temperature
- 2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 baby marrow, grated
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 brown mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sundried tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 tsp dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
Remove the seeds and then slice very thinly (approximately 5 mm). Brush the slices with the olive oil, arrange on a baking tray and roast for 20–30 minutes, or until cooked through.
While the butternut is roasting, make the lentil and tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for approximately 5 minutes until translucent. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer, stirring often, for 25 minutes until the mixture thickens and reduces.
To assemble, layer the lasagne in a baking dish as follows: lasagne sheets and sauce; lasagne sheets, butternut slices and basil pesto. Repeat and continue in this fashion but ending with a layer of sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 180°C. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes to caramelise the top. Sprinkle with vegan parmesan.
Serve the lasagne garnished with fresh basil and parsley, and a side salad.